Family Room Updates

Last week, I took a pair of old brass lamps that were my parents and updated them with spray paint.  Today, I want to show you where we put them and share a few other updates to our family room.

console table / sofa table

When we ordered a new sofa (the Davis sectional from Crate & Barrel), we decided to get rid of our coffee table and instead use a console table behind the sofa.  The new console table still provides a place for magazines and drinks, while also giving us added storage.  We were inspired by the Young House Love console table, and used their table as a model for ours.

Andrew custom built the console in order to provide us with storage both inside:

console table storage

console table inside storage

And on the end for books and photo albums:

console table bookshelf

Our family room is not that big and by removing the coffee table, the space feels much more open.

family room

Another addition to the space is our new rug.  I found this indoor/outdoor rug from One Kings Lane (free to sign up + daily deals = a great website!).

indoor / outdoor rugIt is the perfect balance of blue, brown, and green, and the busy pattern helps to hide dog hair (as much as that is possible anyway 😉 ).

The description read: “This rug is durable enough for the outdoors but chic enough to earn a spot inside, making it well suited for heavy-traffic areas like mudrooms and dens.” I knew it would be a good fit for us and the room we use the most.

You may have also spied two new pillows on the couch.

Crate & Barrel Davis sectional

I purchased the green lattice pillows from Simple Southern Charm on Etsy.

green lattice pillow

They remind me of the stencil we chose for the dining room.  I love the view when you come down our stairs and can see into the dining room.

family room

Here is the view of the fireplace from the sofa.  I enjoy collecting vases, and I’m still working on the arrangement, but my new Kluk Kluk decanter (blue vase on the right), from our antiquing trip in Virginia Beach, fits right in.

fireplace & mantel

There are still a few things we would like to do:

– Change up and/or add artwork to the photos over the sofa
– Replace our old pillows with blue pillows
– Add crown molding
– Bring in a few other accessories for the mantle and bookshelves
– Find baskets for the console table

For now though, we are enjoying the fresh coat of paint and all of our new pieces.  I think our dog Charlie likes it too!

family room

º What springtime change-ups have you been working on in your house?

Cathy Green Interiors monogram

This entry was posted in House Projects and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Family Room Updates

1. Pingback: 25 Headboard Storage Ideas for Your Bedroom - Crafts Booming

2. Pingback: 25 Hidden Storage Ideas to Get Your Home Organized

3. Joyce says:

Do you have the plans for the console table? I want to build something to go behind my toddlers platform bed that’s not as deep as the traditional corner units.

4. Pingback: 50 Easy Storage Ideas for Small Spaces

5. Pingback: Hot to Use The Space Behind Couch

6. Pingback: Get Living Space Too Small? Try These Hacks To Make Your Room Feel Like a Mansion - Hative

7. Kathryn Myers says:

Love the table! Would you be willing to share how you made it? I would love to make the same table but since I’m not very crafty I need instructions haha :)!

8. Kelly Mc says:

Love the living room colors! Do you recall the name or maker of the rug? I searched One Kings Lane and cannot locate it

• Cathy Green says:

Hi Kelly,
      One Kings Lane is a daily deals site – their sales only last for a few days. I have seen our rug pop up there a few other times when they are running a rug sale, so you could try to keep your eye out for it.
      Two other websites with a good selection of outdoor rugs are: rugsdirect.com and rugsusa.com

9. Melissa says:

Have you had any issues with cleaning your Davis sectional? I am looking in to purchasing the Davis but am having a hard time choosing between microfiber and the Darius fabric (also in almond) because I am worried about potential cleaning issues. Any advice would be helpful!

• Cathy Green says:

Hi Melissa,
      We love our Davis sectional. The cushions all have zippers and remove easily in order to throw them in the wash. We have spilled a few things on the sofa, but the spots have come out in the wash.
      Good luck!

10. Pingback: Kitchen Renovation ~ part 4 | Cathy Green InteriorsCathy Green Interiors

11. Pennsylvania Sofa Lover says:

What color did you get the davis sectional in? I love it.

12. Kathy says:

Love the table behind couch. Need deminsions. Depths, etc. please and thank you

13. Lynn says:

Hi, I love the design of the room. I am considering getting the Davis sectional and really like the color you chose here. Do you remember the name of the color?

thanks
    lynn

14. Stacie M. says:

How is your Davis sectional holding up? I’m thinking about ordering it in the graphite color.

• Cathy Green says:

Hi Stacie!
      It’s holding up well. We’ve been really happy with it – comfortable, great color, and the cushions have a zipper, so they’re easy to remove and wash if we need too. I try to flip and rotate the cushions so that they wear evenly, and that’s seemed to help.
      I think the graphite color would be really nice!

15. Pingback: Project Updates | Cathy Green Interiors

16. Loretta says:

Love the console table! Tell Andrew I said nice job & I may have some projects for him as well 🙂

17. Erin says:

Cathy, this looks absolutely amazing! I love all of the hues of blue. So fresh and relaxing. Charlie looks relaxed too! 🙂

18. Jessica says:

I love the room! The sofa is great and the console table is perfect. I can’t wait to see it in person!!